“100 fürs Baselbiet” (100 for Baselland) Supports the Federal Program for Innovative Start-Ups

The “100 fürs Baselbiet” (1004BB) initiative was launched in November 2019 by the three partners University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland (Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz, FHNW), the State Bank of the Canton of Basel-Landschaft (Basellandschaftliche Kantonalbank, BLKB) and the Canton of Baselland. This popular initiative among start-ups in the region has been operational since the beginning of 2020.

1004BB promotes access to financial resources and coaching. Addressed are start-ups and small & medium enterprises (SMEs) that are related in the greater Baselland Area, either being incorporated in the region or that are expected to bring added value to the greater region. Complementary to the financial support which is offered in the forms of loans of up to CHF 0.5 million, non-monetary advice by experienced business coaches is provided free of charge to the selected start-ups. 

Applicants undergo a two-stage selection process. An independent advisory board is involved in the decision-making process to decide which ideas and ventures receive support. To date, there have been 16 applications. Of these, 11 were approved and loans for a total of CHF 3.6 million have been granted. Applications can be submitted throughout the year. The program’s Advisory Board meets 4 times a year to decide which promising projects will be funded.

Shortly after the launch of the 1004BB program, the global COVID-19 crisis hit Switzerland and the Basel region. On 22 April 2020, the Swiss Federal Council decided to provide financial support for promising start-ups with corona-related liquidity shortages. Through their joint initiative “100 fürs Baselbiet”, the Canton and BLKB acted promptly and incorporated the federal instrument in their program to support start-ups with a link to the Canton Baselland.

BLKB covers 35% of the loan guarantee and as a result takes the corresponding credit risk, the other 65% is backed by the federal government.

HEMEX welcomes all options and support instruments that are helping innovative start-ups developing innovative technologies and products, in order to make a difference in patients’ lives. As part of our continuous support to the start-up ecosystem in the greater Basel area, we fully endorse the initiative “100 fürs Baselbiet” and will be happy to show interested start-ups the best way to get access to this much-needed support program.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *